Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Council of Review Boards (CORB)
Updating Your CRSC Status

Chapter 61 - Medical Retirees


2008 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA)

The 2008 National Defense Authorization Act was singed into law on January 29, 2008 to include Chapter 61 retirees, a new component for Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC). This legislation expands eligibility to medical retirees with less than 20 years of service, effective 1 January, 2008. Medically retired veterans must still provide documentation that shows a causal link between a current VA Disability and a combat related event. Recipients we combat-related disabilities could receive their full length of service (LOS) retired pay in addition to VA disability pay.


Questions and Answers

What is a Chapter 61 retiree?

A Chapter 61 retiree is anyone who was medically retired from military service with a 30% or greater VA rated disability.

The term "Chapter 61" comes from the corresponding chapter in Title 10 US Code defining the different categories of medical separation and retirement. For example; if you were retired under 10 USC Sec. 1201, that means Title 10, US Code, Chapter 61, Section 1201; which states "Regulars and members on active duty for more than 30 days: retirement."

How do I know if I am a Chapter 61 retiree?

For recent retirees, block 23 is your type of Separation and should read "Retirement" and block 28 is the narrative reason for separation and should say "Permanent Medical Retirement". For those with a previous version of the DD214 (Vietnam and before), this information can be found in blocks 11a and 11c respectively.

Combat Related Special Compensation eligibility?

Current eligibility requirements:

  • Eligibility:
    • Permanent medical retirement
    • 10% or greater VA rated injury which meets the criteria for combat-related
    • Receiving military retired pay
    • Military retired pay is reduced by VA disability payments (VA Waiver)
  • Combat Related is:
    • Simulating War (SW) - i.e. tactical combat patrol
    • Hazardous Service (HS) - i.e. military diving or parachute operations
    • Instrumentality of War (IN) - i.e. military tactical vehicles
    • Armed Conflict (AC) - i.e. enemy fire
  • If you would like more information to determine if your injury is combat related, please view the "Combat-related vs. Service-Connected" located at
  • Chapter 61 claimants that opt for a severance package are not eligible for CRSC since they are not receiving retired pay, therefore, there is no retired pay to be offset.
  • TERA retirees are included in the 2008 NDAA legislation.
  • Note: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) must be evaluated by the member’s Service to determine if it is combat-related and there is no AUTOMATIC APPROVAL BY THE CRSC BOARD.

When can I apply as Chapter 61 retiree?

Please submit your application when you are in receipt of VA pay. If you submit you application before you are receiving VA pay, you application will be initially denied as you are not visible in the system. You are then required to contact the Navy CRSC Board when you are in receipt VA pay and your application will then be processed. To apply, use DD Form 2860.

 How much will my CRSC pay be?

Actual payment amounts are determined by DFAS and are unique for each service member based on years of service, retirement pay, and more. DFAS has provide the following calculator:

If you have any questions about payment amount, you should contact DFAS directly at 1-800-321-1080 or

Submitting a Claim:

Required documentation includes:

  • A signed application (DD Form 2860)
  • Copy of Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) Findings (Chapter 61/Medical Retirees Only) 
  • Copies of ALL VA rating decisions which include all narrative summaries
  • Copies of ALL DD 214's
  • Medical records that support "HOW" the specific disability being claimed meets the criteria for combat-related

Recommend submitting application via e-mail to


  • Medical records that do not pertain to a combat related disability
  • Electronic media, EKGs, lab slips or dental records
  • Do not bind, bound, staple documents. Please use paper clips if required.