Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content


The Department of the Navy (DON) needs to attract and retain a skilled and talented workforce to advance the mission and support of the war fighter. The DON civilian workforce can provide veterans and wounded warriors the opportunity to serve their country after separating from military service.

Former service members currently comprise a large portion of DON civilian workforce, in civilian careers ranging from machinists to mechanics, sandblasters to scientists, intelligence analysts to IT specialists. Not only are civilian opportunities located in your commuting area, but DON’s workforce spans from California to New York, even Europe and Asia.

As a veteran you may be eligible for consideration alongside other federal employees for job opportunities using one of several Veterans Hiring Authorities. Additionally, if you are qualified for a position that you apply to, you may also be eligible to receivie preference for selection consideration depending on if you are entitled to veterans preference. OPM's Veterans Guide and USAJOBS Veterans Information Page both have specific information on appointment entitlements for Veterans.

 How Military Occupation Codes Relate to Federal Civilian Jobs

Many of the skills gained in your military service relate directly to civilian jobs.  Learning how to translate your military experiences and occupations will help hone your search for a civilian job and help you build your resume.  The Military Careers page on the DMDC website helps veterans identify job skills, experience, training and certifications gained while on active duty that may have application to employment in the civilian sector. The Mil2Feds website, sponsored by the State of Maryland, serves as a military-to-civilian job translator, providing information to both applicants and hiring managers.

 How to Apply

See “How to Apply” tab at the top of the page for step-by-step instructions on the DON application process.

You’ll want to identify in your resume -- date of separation or retirement, rank at date of separation, veterans preference eligible for and other key information necessary to support your veterans preference entitlements.

Additionally, you’ll need to have electronic copies of your veteran’s documents such as Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD 214) and Application for 10-pt veteran’s preference (SF 15) ready to upload in your “Documents” of your USAJOBS profile.

  • If not yet separated, you can get a Statement of Service from your local Personnel Support Detachment that describes your "Character of Service". Upon separation, you will be required to submit a copy of your DD214 (member-4).

 Get Your Military Education and Training Transcripts and Upload

Get your military Joint Services Transcript (JST) by navigating to the Joint Services Transcript website. JST documents the American Council on Education (ACE) recommended college credits for military training and occupational experience and is an academically accepted record that is validated by ACE.

 Additional Resources

Resume support is offered exclusively to veterans through TURBOTAP, the Transition Assistance Program (TAP) classes. Also you may contact a transition assistance counselor at your local Fleet and Family Service Center for assistance on resume writing, resume review, interviewing tips and other help in transitioning to the federal workforce. Additional resources and information are also available on Military One Source and through the Feds Hire Vets website.