External Link Disclaimer

This hyperlink does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Navy of non-U.S. Government sites or the information, products, or services contained therein. Although the U.S. Navy may or may not use these sites as additional distribution channels for Department of Defense information, it does not exercise editorial control over all of the information that you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this website.

Question

When will the Department of the Navy be finished with its clean-up programs?

Answer

The Department is on track to achieve the Department of the Defense response complete goal at 95% of its sites by 2021. This milestone means that all response actions have been completed, the cleanup objectives have been met, and the regulatory agencies agree that the sites are safe for their intended land use. The remaining 5% of sites will have remedies in place, but continued operations and maintenance of remediation systems is required to achieve the cleanup objectives. In these few cases, the site uses may be restricted until the cleanup objectives are reached to support the future land use.

Division

Environment

Attachments

Created at 12/18/2012 1:15 PM by Chris Pike
Last modified at 12/18/2012 1:15 PM by Chris Pike
Connect With Us!

Assistant Secretary of the Navy
Energy, Installations and Environment
1000 Navy Pentagon,
Washington, DC 20350

Office Contact:
T: 703-693-4530

This is an official U.S. Navy website
Contact the Webmaster - Please read our Privacy Policy Notice - No FEAR Act - Section 508