Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content



The Department of the Navy (DON) needs to attract and retain a skilled and talented workforce to advance the mission and support of the war fighter. The DON civilian workforce can provide veterans and wounded warriors the opportunity to serve their country.

As a former service member, the civilian workforce is the perfect opportunity to continue your duty and diligence to the United States. Former service members currently comprise a large portion of DON civilian workforce, in civilian careers ranging from machinists to mechanics, sandblasters to scientists, intelligence analysts to IT specialists. Not only are civilian opportunities located in your commuting area, but DON’s workforce spans from California to New York, even Europe and Asia. No matter where you serve as a DON civilian, you are supporting the sailors and marines throughout the world.

Veterans Guide


 How to Apply


The Department of the Navy (DON) has a wide variety of occupations that are available to veterans who are preparing for the civilian workforce. Applying to positions within the federal government is one way to continue serving the United States.

See “How to Apply” tab at the top of the page for step-by-step instructions on the DON application process.


 Get Your Military Education and Training Transcripts and Upload


Get the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript(SMART) by navigating to Navy College. SMART documents American Council on Education (ACE) recommended college credit for military training and occupational experience. SMART is an academically accepted record that is validated by ACE.

Upload documents such as SMART Transcripts, DD 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty), SF 15 (Application for 10-pt veteran preference).

  • If not yet separated, you can get a Statement of Service from your local Personnel Support Detachment that describes your "Character of Service".
  • Upon separation, you will be required to submit a copy of your DD 214 (member-4). (Log in to your account and go to My Account, Saved Documents).

 How Military Occupation Codes Relate to Federal Civilian Jobs


Find out how your military occupation codes relate to federal civilian jobs and then begin searching for federal jobs.


 Additional Resources


Tutorials/Webcasts on finding and applying for a federal government job using USAJOBS can also be viewed via YouTube: Find & Apply for a job with the Federal Government Tutorial.

Contact a transition assistance counselor at your local Fleet and Family Service Center. Find your local Fleet and Family Support Center. Veterans should first pursue the resources and support provided through their local Fleet and Family Support Centers (FFSC). Resources and information are also available through the Feds Hire Vets website.