External Link Disclaimer

This hyperlink does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Navy of non-U.S. Government sites or the information, products, or services contained therein. Although the U.S. Navy may or may not use these sites as additional distribution channels for Department of Defense information, it does not exercise editorial control over all of the information that you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this website.

FAQs: Where can I locate military service records?



Where can I locate military service records?


The National Personnel Records Center, is the official repository for records of military personnel who have been discharged from the U.S. Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Coast Guard. The National Archives's National Personnel Records Center (Military Personnel Records) (NPRC-MPR) stores records of individual military service pertaining to former service members who no longer have a service obligation. Included are records of veterans who are completely discharged (with no remaining reserve commitment), or who are retired or have died. Records are usually transferred to NPRC (MPR) within six months after these events. NPRC (MPR) does not have records of members who are still in the active or inactive reserves or in the National Guard. The records of each military service department are on file at NPRC (MPR) and listed under Location of Military Service Records.


Created at 11/29/2012 10:02 AM by Stephen Delong
Last modified at 11/29/2012 10:31 AM by Stephen Delong